Founded in 2015, #MEAction is the largest grassroots organization fighting for recognition, medical education, and research for the 30 million people with ME (also called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or ME/CFS).
Volunteers around the world leverage Unrest, an award-winning documentary about ME directed by our co-founder Jennifer Brea, as a powerful message to bring awareness about and hope for those living with this disease.
Most cases of ME are triggered by viral infections. This year, researchers are finding that a subset of those who contract COVID-19 go on to develop ME. We support and partner with this emerging community of people with “long COVID.” This moment, despite its challenges, presents a unique opportunity to fundamentally change how scientists, doctors and policymakers understand and treat this disease.
We are looking for our next Executive Director to begin as soon as possible. You will take the reins from our founding director, work directly with the Board to establish our strategic plan for the next three to five years, and ensure the successful implementation of your plan.
About the Position
Your core work will focus in four areas: strategy, fundraising and financial management, Board partnership, and people management.
- In Strategy, you will collaborate with our staff of seven employees and thousands of volunteers to fulfill our mission through programming, communications, community outreach, and capacity building. You will work with the Board to define how we will play a clear and impactful role in the evolving Long COVID crisis.
- In the areas of Fundraising and Financial Management, you will ensure the long-term financial viability of the organization by developing and implementing a sustainable and repeatable fundraising strategy, cultivating donor relationships, creating and operating within a budget, and providing regular and accurate financial reports to the Board.
- In working with our Board, you will communicate proactively, positively, and professionally in order to build trust and support great decision making.
- As you manage people, you will coach the senior leadership, support all of our staff in their work, and grow our culture of engagement and positive conflict resolution among volunteers. You will nurture our external partnerships with other ME/CFS, Long Covid, and related medical, research, and community groups.
Most importantly, you will be joining — and adding to — a friendly, collaborative, supportive, and innovative organizational culture.
You can be located anywhere in the United States; the organization is currently entirely virtual, and its headquarters are located in Los Angeles, California.
We are open to meeting with candidates of many different profiles. We think you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree or have equivalent, relevant experience
- High emotional intelligence
- Comfort navigating complex organizations, relationships, and landscapes
- A track record of transparent and high-integrity leadership
- Ten or more years’ senior management experience, with at least five years in a nonprofit leadership position involving direct work with a Board of Directors
- Experience managing transitions in nonprofits with a track record of growth
- Experience with grassroots, community-based, or volunteer-oriented organizations
- Substantial experience with fundraising strategy, donor cultivation, and/or digital strategy for fundraising
The Fine Print & Next Steps
We offer competitive compensation and benefits as well as flexibility in location, work hours, and time off.
We are an equal-opportunity employer with a policy of equal employment opportunity for every person regardless of age, race, religion, color, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry or citizenship.
If you would like more information about the position, please email our search consultant, Lydia Musher, at [email protected].
To apply, please submit the online application by February 15, 2021. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Before you apply, please visit our website at http://meaction.net to learn more about our organization. Thank you for your interest.