Is your senator a member of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee?
Do you have friends or family living in the following states?
SIGN AND SHARE YOUR STATE PETITION
ALASKA * COLORADO * CONNECTICUT * GEORGIA * ILLINOIS * KANSAS * KENTUCKY * MAINE * MARYLAND * MASSACHUSETTS * MINNESOTA * LOUISIANA * NORTH CAROLINA * PENNYSLVANIA * RHODE ISLAND * SOUTH CAROLINA * TENNESSEE * UTAH * VERMONT * WASHINGTON * WISCONSIN * WYOMING
These states are a crucial part of our strategy to increase NIH (National Institutes of Health) funding for ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). Please help us share the petition in these battleground states!
ALL US PETITIONS
GLOBAL SOLIDARITY PETITION
More about ME:
– Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is a debilitating, often disabling, illness recognized as a neurological disorder by the World Health Organization since 1969.
– After an outbreak in Nevada in the 1980s, the CDC coined the term “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.”
– There are no FDA-approved treatments and no diagnostic tools for ME.
– Between 836,000 and 2.5 million U.S. residents are afflicted with ME, with 84 to 91 percent not yet diagnosed. True numbers are highly underreported
– ME-related medical expenses and lost productivity cost the U.S. up to $24 billion annually.
– In research funding, ME receives less money for research than hay fever, and ranks far below similarly disabling illnesses:
– ME: About $2 per patient per year in NIH funding ($5 million in FY2015)
– Multiple sclerosis: About $250 per patient ($103 million in FY2015)
– HIV/AIDS: About $2500 per patient ($3 billion in FY2015)
– Patients with ME score more poorly on quality of life surveys than patients with multiple sclerosis, stroke, diabetes, renal failure, lung disease, heart failure and various cancers.
– At least one quarter of ME patients become housebound or bedbound, often for years. Many become unemployed.
6 thoughts on “U.S. Funding petition: help us target key states”
I have fibromyalgia they say.
I would like Elma Daniel to know that Drs say I have FMS too but CFS was my first & primary diagnosis back in early 90’s. You can have both or maybe theyre the same …..who knows? Either way you can still advocate for me/Cfs if you so desire.
I live in Belgium and have very severe ME. I wanted to sign the global petition but it (the link) did not work. I got allways the answer no … in your area. How can I help?
Thanks for commenting! Let’s get you signing. Can you try going directly to the global petition here? http://my.meaction.net/petitions/us-congress-me-patients-around-the-world-care-about-funding-equality
Let me know if that works, I’ll check the links in the post now!
I am the fulltime Carer of my wife who has suffered from ME for 20 years, ten if then she has been severe ME and bedbound. I am an ME activist and have many ME friends in the US. Please help these people with their Myalgic Encephalomylitis disease and not any fake psychiatric version that medical world have invented to pacify the UNUM or Big Pharma.
I have neighbors whose daugher has been battling chronic fatigue syndrome for the past 10 years and she is very debilitated. I am 100% supportive of research dollars needed for this devastating disease.
Comments are closed.